Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is Awesome


















Finally I got another Nintendo Wii last week. Once again it wasn’t as easy as just walking in to the store and buying one. Well it was but only after a week of phone calls and searching online. I had the same problem the first time I got a Wii, except that time I found out Meijer had 50 of them in stock for Black Friday. So I stood in line from 8pm until 5am the next morning. I ended up having to leave because I got the flu and came down with a 103 degree fever while standing in line. My mom and wife got stuck waiting in line with my 6 month old son. Good times for them ;).

So after spending about $500 this time to get the system, 2 complete controller setups (one remote, one nun chuck, 2 motion pluses, and a classic controller), and a game; I am finally back on the wagon. What game is it you ask? Well let me tell you. It is Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and boy have I enjoyed it every minute I can since I bought it. Hands down this is probably one of the best fighters that I have played in awhile.

I don’t even know how to convey the awesomeness of this game to you as a reader. So let’s begin with the presentation and looks of the game. Outstanding is a good way to describe it. It is comical and cartoony but not in a bad way. There is this 1970’s cartoon feel to it which is well suited for the overall game. Either way the colors are bright and fun and in some weird way it brings out the fun in the game instead of the seriousness that can come with fierce competition from other foes. Also you will find that you are not turned completely off by the music. Its soundtrack is tolerable in comparison to other Capcom soundtracks (SFIV) and at some points even enjoyable.

The button layout is simple but yet again well suited for this game like everything else. Like Brian T. said there are only 3 attack buttons. This is a great way to allow easier control of the characters making it possible to string together some devastating combos. The fighting style amongst the characters is unique to everyone allowing you to alter your gameplay dependent on who you are fighting with. There are endless hours of enjoyment with this game from mastering characters in arcade mode to cracking skulls online with the ultimate duo: Polimar and Casshan. Yeah that’s right that is my super head stomping team right there.

At first I was iffy about this game because it seemed slow and clownish, unlike other fighters that I was used to i.e. Marvel vs. Capcom and SFIV. But after a few rounds and some getting used to, the paced picked up and the graphics were more than appealing. This game is a definite one to own and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It definitely made the Wii worth owning again. Just in case you are all wondering the win loss record between Brian T. and I is 18-15, and I am the one with 18 wins.

-Brian R.

2 comments:

  1. Did you happen to get your hands on a Mad Catz arcade pad?
    'Cuz thats the way to go, when playing Fighter games like TvC.
    (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put. I couldn't agree with you more about learning the characters. Usually fighters aren't fun when you're stuck playing with the arcade, but learning all the characters and trying all the teams out makes for playing against the arcade both fun and crucial practice. Plus, I don't think there are really any truly bad characters in the game unlike Marvel vs. Capcom 2 which had characters that were very obviously awesome and some that very obviously sucked.

    The more I play the game, the more I like the soundtrack. It goes from J-pop to old school fighting game techno and there are a couple of really catchy tunes. I'm not gonna lie...the last 2 days at work I've been singing that awful, but insanely catchy, intro song to myself.

    "You can push yourself to the limits something something something something...You can fly above the highest rainbow something something something something."

    Yeah, I'm lame as hell...so what? And just wait until you meet Yatterman-1 and Viewtiful Joe again...not only will I beat you, but I will annoy the shit out of you at the same time.

    Also, @ Rion I've got a fightstick for PS3 and have found that it has made a huge difference in the way I play. I want a stick for the Wii, but to be honest with you, you couldn't ask for a fighter to work better with a regular pad like this game does. TvC almost seems like it was made with the classic controller in mind. I'm not gonna lie though...as soon as the Wii sticks drop in price, I'm definitely gonna grab one just for the hell of it since it also works with Guilty Gear, Gamecube fighters, and all the virtual console fighters.

    ReplyDelete