Sunday, January 17, 2010

I don't ♥ Gamestop


Gamestop is a name that has become house hold in the world of gaming. They are everywhere and they have almost monopolized the video game market. I know that I shop at Gamestop or used to as of last week. It is impossible to not shop there especially if you are in the market for used merchandise, or what they refer to as “pre-owned.” I have finally been pushed over the top though with their unappreciative attitudes, over priced “used merchandise”, and under purchased trade-ins. Their sales tactics are more annoying then helpful and if you have a question about anything, don’t expect an answer given by a majority of the employees to be helpful.

My dislike for Gamestop has become so much that it has finally driven me to shop elsewhere unless it is unavoidable. By now as a gamer I am sure that you are aware of the fact that you can pre-purchase or reserve a title long before it is released. So then why is it then when I am in the process of reserving a game do I always get asked if I would like to reserve any other game? Obviously at this point I am well aware of their reservation process and if I had wanted to reserve any other games I would have done so from the start. So please don’t ask me. Then there is the pricing on the video games and I am not talking about new games, but their used crap. How is it that you are going to sell me a game for $5 less than if I were to purchase it new, but if I were to trade that same game in, for store credit mind you, you will only give me a fraction of that price. Here is a hypothetical situation just in case you are unfamiliar with their ridiculous rip-off policies. Brand new a game costs $59.99, used it is $54.99 but if I bought it new or used and went to trade it in for store credit; I would get $20 or $30 max. That is in some cases more than 100% profit and possibly even more if you consider the fact that I have to use that $20 or $30 in the store to purchase more stuff. It is not like it is cash in my pocket. What a fucking rip. These plus other little things here and there have become too much, but it wasn’t any of this that finally drove me over the top.

This type of shit I have dealt with for years now and tolerated. It wasn’t until recently that I was driven over the edge to the point where I said enough is enough. Long story short, I called Gamestop to see if Assassins Creed qualified for a promotion that was taking place. They said it did so I went to trade it in. When I got there I was told that it did not qualify and that I would get $5 for the trade in. After some back in forth arguing I was finally asked who I talked to. Luckily I got his name and bingo I got $20 for Assassins Creed (mind you I only paid $17.99 for it used from Gamestop, so essential now I got paid $3 to own and play the game for almost a year). After that the assistant manager that was ringing me up just completely lost his shit. He start banging the crap out of the keyboard on his computer, throwing the game I was trading in around plus the game that I was buying, followed by a long string of god damn its and Jesus Christ’s. Then it escalates to the point of the assistant manager reprimanding and belittling the employee in front of Brian T., two mothers and their kids, and myself. Now between you and me I didn’t give a shit about how he was reacting and if anything I was getting a good laugh from getting one over on them; but with my hate for Gamestop I saw yet another opportunity to get more out of them by complaining about this negative experience to their corporate office.

The next day I filed the complaint with their corporate headquarters. After sitting on hold for about 10 minutes I finally got through to someone and explained the whole story. Once again I was put on hold only to hear after about another 5 minutes of silence that my complaint will be filed to the district manager. So I wait, and after about a week with no response he finally calls me. Once again I explain my situation to him. He goes on to inform me that both employees were assistant managers who are in line to get their own stores in the next year and that their behavior was unacceptable. Thanks, I know or I wouldn’t have called. Then he continues to tell me that this situation was a great training experience for his employees. He finally goes on to end the conversation with and I quote, “Thank you for bringing this situation to my attention. We are handling this internally and using this information to better help employees learn how to better handle themselves. We appreciate having you as a Gamestop customer and look forward to your future business with us. Goodbye.” What the fuck is that bullshit? If I were to go out and ream a server in front of a table about a mistake I made, A. I would no longer have a customer and B. if I wanted to keep them as a customer I would need to basically give them the store with gift certificates and what have you. But what did I get; nothing more than a thanks have a nice day, and come buy more overpriced crap from us. Well thanks for letting me know that I am nothing more than a number to you and that you have zero care in your customers. Why would you when you are arrogant enough to think that if he doesn’t come back I will have 3 more behind him. Well I used to think like that and now with the dwindling economy and the increase in competition, I am wishing that I treated every customer like family instead of a paycheck.

Today there are more and more options when it comes to video game sales. There are the big box stores like Wal-Mart and Target, online stores such as eBay, Gamefly, and Amazon, and even new retailers similar to Gamestop, like Play-N-Trade and Gorilla Games. Amazon, Gamefly, and the new video game retailers all take in trades either for cash or credit like Gamestop, and now you can also purchase used games from Wal-Mart. Plus the extra benefit to Play-N-Trade and Amazon is that you are not limited to purchasing games and accessories for 3 systems (360, PS3, and Wii). You have access to everything video game related, anything from a NES game to a Sega Dreamcast VMU. Having those options makes shopping there that much more appealing. I should mention also that every where else’s deals, trade-in offers, and prices on just about everything are lower than anything that you can buy at Gamestop. With all this said it leaves me to say that I am done with Gamestop. The only way I would be compelled to step foot in that store again is if I were given a gift card. It is your choice if you want to continue to support Gamestop and their bullshit antics; but I would highly recommend that everyone start taking the time to shop elsewhere instead of trying to fill that instant gratification with Gamestop. Comment back and let me know what you think about Gamestop and if you too have had enough.

-Brian R.

12 comments:

  1. Gamestop honestly didn't used to be as bad. When I worked there I recognized some of the bullshit policies they had in place, but it still felt like a video game store, not a video game promotional experience. Used games were WAY cheaper before the EB Games merger as well and trade-in values were higher.

    When new games retailed at $50, Gamestop would give an average of 25 to 30 in store credit. Now games are $60 new, and they STILL only give 25 to 30 in store credit. On top of that, used new releases were ALWAYS $10 cheaper than the new version, but now they're only $5 cheaper. What the fuck?

    Gamestop now offers shittier service than ever at the cost of HIGHER used game prices and membership costs, while lowering trade-in values across the board. I fully support your boycot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a boycot is the only way that Gamestop can be put in there place. As long as people keep shopping there, they have no reason to change their polocies. It isn't until they take a hit will they start to cater to the public instead of catering to themselves. And the only way for that to happen is they finally get some real competition and people start to shop elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a few issues with Gamestop recently. I checked their site to see if they had a certain used game it, it said they did. Just to make sure, I called in anyways. Without even wasting a second, the clerk tells me no. There is no way he was able to know if they had the game just off the top of his head. So I went in just to make sure, (I live about 10 minutes walking distance). Sure enough, the game was sitting right on the shelf. Pure laziness and complete lack of any customer service skills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another issue I had with Gamestop. I went in and found a used copy of Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts for the PSP. I take it up to the register and the clerk couldnt find a copy. I thought it was odd they had a box for it but no copy of the game. Whatever. About 2 weeks later, I go back to see if they had gotten anything new in the pre-owned section. I see the EXACT box for the game there. I thought maybe they had gotten a copy. I was wrong. They put the box back on the shelf without having a copy..again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carlos G. that sounds like typical Gamestop fashion. Lackadaisical, don't care, annoyed you are there type of attitude. Obviously if upper management doesn't care about the customer, why should the employees care. I have had similar experiences like you and it was just more to add to the foundation of why I will no longer shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh d@mn...those are terrible Gamestop experiences.
    I can only apologize, since I haven't received such experiences to empathize with you guys.
    But regardless of that, I still feel that THAT kind of tyranny shouldn't be tolerated.

    I can only wonder as to what state you guys are in, as this kind of lack in over-all customer service, hasn't happened to me in Maryland (@ least, the ONE Gamestop that I go to, approx. 2 miles away).

    And the most memorable experience I've had was during the midnight launch of Modern Warfare 2, when the Gamestop closest to me, held an exclusive event (and by exclusive, i mean they were the only Gamestop in the state to pull off the event) where they had a tent set up for Paintball gun Target-shooting. They also said there were more events (like having the military people from the base nearby to rappel from the roof of the store, storm into the store, and bring the games in, held in a black "ammo chest"), but I wasn't there yet when the events had started.

    The only qualms I have with Gamestop is the RIDICULOUS $5 amount I'd get for selling a game [sold my Orange Box to them]; and the fact that they don't even sell PC games.
    For a "GAME stop", its kinda stupid not to have PC games to sell. And since they don't have PC games, I've had to turn to Best Buy for it, or for games they just didn't have, while other retailers did.

    I'm actually curious where these Gamestop/Retailer alternatives are, that you speak of (e.g. Play-N-Trade & Gorilla Games), because 1.] I haven't heard of 'em before & 2.] I would more than LOVE to check their service out - and if, as you say, they are indeed better than Gamestop's service, then I won't hesitate to transfer to said alternatives.

    I also agree with Gamestop not being as $#!++y before as it is now...after the said merger with EB Games. I blame EB Games for their $#!+. Never liked EB Games to begin with.
    And (I) have a silent, bitter hatred for one of them (can't remember which one), after they had taken over this LONE games retailer that was very dear to me - Funcoland (dunno if they were well known or if there were even other stores/branches elsewhere).

    Hope you guys become successful @ getting the word out to people about the alternatives to Gamestop - it would be of great service to the rest of the Gamer community - you Vigilantes of Gamer Justice.

    Cool Post/Read, Brian R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a big reason why Gamestop gets alot of return business is because of preorder incentives. I'll never know how they strike up deals with publishers to offer these incentives while other stores get nothing.

    Every once in awhile, Amazon or another department store, usually Best Buy, will have some kind of incentive but not nearly as often as Gamestop does.

    I wonder if some of these big name publishers have some sort of a contract with Gamestop dealing with these incentives. Could be considered a shady business practice

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rion Vanguard that is funny that you mentioned the you loved Funcoland. Brian T. and I feel the same way. The ability to try a game before buying, the weekly flyer with new game releases and trade in values. They felt like they were a store for the gamer not the CEO lining his pockets with money.

    As for alternatives there is Play-n-Trade. The reason they stand out is because 1 they are cheaper and have better trade values than Gamestop, 2 they sell systems, accesories, and games from systems as old as Atari 2600. Plus you can trade in anything video game related. The other reason there is a difference between Gamestop and Play-n-Trade is Gamestops are all corporate owned where as Play-n-Trade is privately owned through franchises. This allows the operator of the Play-n-Trade to have more freedom to do what they want. This allows them to be more customer oriented and friendly then we see at mosts Gamestops. Play-n-Trades are mainly on the west coast but moving their way east. We have about 10 stores in the Chicagoland area. If you go on their website you can see if there are any locations near you. www.playntrade.com/storefinder

    Gorilla games is up and coming. I think they only have about 8 stores but from what I can tell they are going to be similar to Play-n-Trade. They are currently located in Tennesee, Florida and states around there.

    Here in Illinois I think the major part of Gamestops problem is the arrogance that comes with a 20 year old who thinks he is better than you. It is the attitude they give that you are annoying them more then anything.

    I am glad that you yourself have never had any bad experiences but I am sure there has been at least one occasion where you left the store feeling ripped off in some way, either on a trade-in or the high price on a used game.

    Brian R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Carlos G. it is funny that you said that. This was a topic of conversation last night between Brian T. and I. We were talking about how it is crap that gamestop gets the exclusive items when you reserve it through them. Such as the gun and armor you get with the Mass Effect 2 pre-order.

    I remember when I pre-ordered World at War and you got the exclusive unlock for the M1A1 Carbine. When I got the game I downloaded the gun and guess what it didn't work. Typical gamestop bullshit.

    If I had to guess I would assume that Gamestop has some sort of contract with the bigger game companies. Because honestly what do the developers and distributors care who sells the game. Either way it is still money in their pockets. With the increase in retailers in video games, we can hope to see a shift away from this.

    One last note I do recall one time, I can't remember which game, had specific download content exclusive to where you reserved it from. Gamestop gave you a gun, Amazon gave you armor, etc. I don't remember the specifics but you get the idea. I thought that was a cool idea because at least it leaves us the consumer with some options.

    Brian R.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Might as well keep this alive...

    For anyone who's interested, Amazon.com actually has a way better pre-order incentive for Tatsunoku vs. Capcom than Gamestop. Also in some cases, stores like Target get the exact same, if not better pre-order bonuses than Gamestop (the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games come to mind).

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Brian R.

    Yeahh, I miss Funcoland. Only had the opportunity to go twice (and that was back when I was a youngin' [in my 20's now]). They really were "for the gamer". Wish they were still around. I've read that they've been assimilated by Gamestop as well. [[sadface]]

    Judging from the pictures of both retailers, both look to be very promising, and have even better stores than Gamestop's (especially Gorilla Games' stores).

    Thanks for the link. I google-mapped Play-N-Trade, and found 3 in VA, and one here in MD, about 30 min. away from me. I'll have to schedule a trip there when I get a chance. Anything beyond a 5-mile radius is inconveniently far for me, at the moment.

    Ohhh, I see..individual workers that give (an) unpleasant experience(s)..as if they weren't trained very well, or weren't screened prior to being hired.
    I'm not entirely sure, but my experience may be due to the location of the specific Gamestop store that I go to..or the fact that east coast branches have a higher emphasis on professionalism when it comes to employee-training. Who knows..it may just be fortunate vs unfortunate circumstances between us. [[shrug]]

    But you're right - I felt ripped-off with the $5 price on selling games to them.
    And the used games WERE pretty high..I believe they were around $25-$30, last time I purchased some?? [And on old/broken games - e.g. Ninety Nine Nights/N3 & Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions]

    I guess the only thing thats really keeping me attached to Gamestop ARE the exclusive DLC's & whatnot. That and the Edge member card that goes with a subscription to GameInformer magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Edge card is awesome just for the Game Informer subscription haha. I've been a GI subscriber since I was 16 and I'm 23 now. It used to be pretty bad, but over the past few years it's gotten to be pretty respectable. I really dig the new redesign they did a few months ago as well. They've definitely ironed out some of the issues I had initially.

    On a side note, I'm glad to see EGM is coming back.

    ReplyDelete