Wednesday, January 20, 2010

video game pms

I'm in a bad mood. I'm taking a break from the insanely frustrating process of trying to get my 360 online to set up a Live account. To keep it short, because of the layout of my house and electronics, I have to use Internet Connection Sharing through the PC in my room to get my 360 online which may require me to change my router's IP address which is way more work than it should be. Microsoft's greed once again finds a way to piss me off. I mean, seriously guys...the fucking Wii has built-in Wifi, yet I have to buy a $100 proprietary brand adapter to get the 360 to do this? FUCK YOU.

So Microsoft is on today's shit list for me, how about Sony? Well, it would appear that yesterday they delayed the release of their still-nameless motion controller. Am I mad about that? No, I don't really care...at all. All this did is remind me how stupid Sony has been this generation. Year after year they keep making mistakes from botched launches, to ridiculous amounts of PS3 upgrades/downgrades, to the completely useless PSP Go, to the hilariously underwhelming Playstation Home. The list goes on. Sony already has one failed peripheral on the market with the PS3 Eye. Why introduce another one that is just essentially another Wii remote controller?

I own a Wii, a PS3, and a 360. Everybody always argues which console is better, which has the best/worst games, etc. People are too quick to pledge allegiance to a console or company these days. Despite the success Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo have all had over the past few years, I don't think any one of them has actually done a good job and provided an overall positive experience.

Nintendo beat the shit out of Sony and Microsoft this generation with a repackaged Gamecube. Creative, yet shrewd as hell, they found a way to offer a new twist on the last generation that ended up being a lot more fun than the competition offered at the time of it's launch. Unfortunately, Nintendo doesn't know the meaning of quality control and allowed their console to be overrun with shovelware because it kept units flying off the shelves. Because of this, many truly awesome Wii titles were lost in a sea of bullshit and suffered sales so poor that 3rd party developers are ceasing to make hardcore titles. And there's the mostly terrible online experience. And there's the failure to support external hard drives (the SD card update "solution" is bullshit). And Wii Motion Plus should technically be free for us suckers who paid $40 dollars for remotes that should have had 1:1 tracking in the first place. Sony is stupid, but Nintendo is greedy and oblivious.

Sony finally saw the PS3 come out on top last year. A handful of 1st party exclusives like Infamous and Uncharted 2 really gave the console some footing and developers are finally, kind of...mostly getting the hang of programming for the console. Other than those positives, you can refer to all the bullshit mistakes Sony has made in the paragraphs above. The motion controller will fail because everybody already owns a Nintendo Wii, and guess what? We're all bored with it. If Sony thinks they've got the sequel to the Wii on their hands, they are wrong. Find a way to fix support for the PS3 Eye and PSP Go before you rush another expensive piece of technology on the market...

I mentioned Nintendo being greedy, but obviously the greed crown really belongs to Microsoft. The 360 has had the steadiest level of success despite manufacturing hands-down, the absolute least reliable game console in the past 20 years. Many people own beat-up, dusty NES consoles that work better than their 360's. Microsoft's business model is obvious in the way they handle the 360. Moreso than any other console, it is a financial vacuum and they still aren't that reliable. But whatever, I've spent too much time writing this. I guess I should go figure out how I can get my Live account set up so I can throw some more cash at Microsoft...

-Brian T.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that setting up Xbox live is retarded and way more work than needed. Have to go through like 20 menus just to get to the damn MAC address....

    About Natal vs Sony's thing...
    Sony might just making another version of the Wii motion plus, but the difference is that the PS3 is going to be a lot longer lived than the Wii. I have all three, but given the chance to use a Wii motion+, Natal, or Sony's wand, I would choose to use the wand. It is much more accurate than the Wii as well as HD, Natal would be interesting, but I really doubt it will work correctly.

    PSP Go is by far useless. Is it worth spending so much more for a Go rather than a 3000? For some, yes but not everyone. Right now they only issue with the Go is getting publishers to sell their products in the PSN on release rather than waiting.

    Also.. just because you don't like PS Home doesn't make it pointless. It is free and optional. Many people who use it love it. I don't see why so many people bad mouth it. I'm not a huge fan of it, but it is still fun to stand around and chat sometimes. It is still Beta with room for improvement, but as long as it is free for everyone, I won't complain about extra features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Nathan

    I've always been a little wary of peripherals and motion control in gaming. While Microsoft is really giving the impression that they are trying to make Natal crucial to the Xbox experience and are banking on it to lengthen the life of the 360, a technology like this is really hard to speculate about. On the surface it looks like a PS3 Eye, but the possibilities are far greater.

    Much in the same way, Sony's new controller looks like a Wii remote and developers will undoubtedly treat it as such. While the potential to do more is obviously there, I still feel that there is a LOT that can be done with the Wii remote that hasn't been done yet...and developers have had years now. On the other hand, Sony have proven that when they feel like it, they can release really innovative products like Eye of Judgement. This says 2 things to me.

    1) Sony needs to fully support the PS3 Eye or how can I have confidence they will support this motion controller?

    2) If Sony can create really cool stuff with the limited PS3 Eye, then Natal should theoretically already be proven to be able to provide some quality innovative experiences as well.

    The PSP Go on the other hand is basically a new handheld, and in many ways, I feel it is a downgrade to the PSP 3000. If you already own a PSP, your UMD games and movies are instantly useless and unfortunately, SEVERE lack of universal PSP support in the Playstation Store means that there is no way to play a lot of the games you may already own. Plus it's $50 than a PSP 3000 and only $50 than a PS3. This system was released WAY too early. In 2 years when we see a real radical shift to digital distribution this will be great to own, but until then...pass.

    And I never said Home was pointless. I still jump on from time to time to see what's new...and usually nothing is new. Just more stuff to buy in an empty world full of loading and trailers. It's a chat room with avatars and minigames, and that's fine with me, but Sony hyped it up to be so much more. By the time the beta was released, Home should have been completed. And now here we are well over a year later and Sony hasn't lived up to their promises...which again, I'm fine with. I'm not paying for it either way...I just wish Sony would follow through with SOMETHING right now. Not that it matters I guess since I still love my PS3 like a child...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely wish Sony would utilize the Eye and hell.. even 6 axis more. I am not a huge fan of motion games, but the small things 6axis stuff they throw in games is fun, but rare (like Killzone 2 bomb planting).

    I don't look at the Go as a downgrade at all for anyone looking to buy a PSP right now. I do agree that it was a bit early to release an all digital platform, especially when they give publishers the option to use it or not.

    I guess I don't look at Home the same way as most people. Ps3 was the last of the three consoles for me to buy, so I just got it more recently. I never thought about looking at it from the "expectational" standpoint.

    Good response though, it clarifies a few opinions.

    About Natal though, I just don't have my hopes up. I've seen a lot of different "motion" cameras and they never work quiet the way they should. It is very possible they will make one that does, I just am not counting on it. The type of games I like to play just wouldn't have much use for it. I am interested to see Natal + controller though.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am interested to see Natal + controller though."

    ^This.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!
    [Not laughing at you, but what you said about all 3 companies.]


    1.] I just bypassed the use of that $100 wireless Micro$oft $#!+ for a hard-wired [REALLY LONG] ethernet cable & Linksys Switch.
    I knew, going into it, that going wireless would mean a worse connection while in multiplayer matches [e.g. HALO 3, Gears 2, & MW2], which, for the most part, I was right about. So yeah; problem solved on that end (for me).

    2.] I've read on G4TV's TheFeed's blog, that the PS3 motion controller/peripheral is (tentatively) being called "Gem".
    IMO, the name reads off so femininely..and the actual controller looks like a plastic MIC [they really need to get rid of that orb @ the end of the controller].
    Even the Wiimote looks more aesthetically pleasing (more so the black colored version).

    And I think that the PSP-Go is just ahead of it's time. They shouldn't have launched it so early, and have it go alongside with the current PSP. (Most) People still prefer to have some hard-copy form of the games they purchase.
    The digital path only works for music right now because CD albums offer nothing more than the songs themselves (which somehow caused burnout); and there are far more songs than there are games, so storing them digitally makes more sense. But I digress.

    I thought Sony was the trailblazer in the motion-control gameplay department with their [PS2] EyeToy? LOL
    [Edit]: I forgot about their Eye of Judgement!
    That would've been a WAYYY better (hybrid) pursuit than motion-control & 3D-gaming.

    And the day I'll go out to buy a PS3 Slim is the day Sony stops lying with their advertising.
    Yeah, "It only does everything.", EXCEPT BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY!!!
    Sure, their first batch of PS3's had it, but only the people who were fanatically dedicated, or who were rich enough (or both!) would have gotten the PS3 @ launch. [And I only know ONE person in my life who has a LaunchDay PS3.]
    Greedy jerks figured everyone else can just purchase a PS2 since people are apparently still buying it & playing on it.
    [I wanna play Kingom Hearts 1, Re:CoM, & 2 on the PS3 Slim, d@mnit!!]
    Eheh-ehem..sorry..had a moment there.

    3.] Instead of making the Motion+ as an attachment, they should've just made new controllers with the updated tech in it, and let people turn in their old ones for the new ones. Greedy 8@$+@rd$.
    Nyko has made their own version of the Wiimote with the Motion+ tech already built-in, and still at the same size as the original controller. The only problem with it is, the design isn't as aesthetically (or ergonomically) pleasing as the actual Wiimote.

    4.] Microsoft's as-of-yet-to-be-officially-named "Project Natal" will be the forefront in motion-control tech, since it completely removes the controller, making you - the player - the controller.
    [Then again, didn't Sony's EyeToy do that? LoL]
    And they've already showed & stated, that, use of Project Natal will go beyond the XBox360 gaming console, which looks & sounds to be very promising.

    5.] Microsoft really IS greedy; but then again they ALL are.
    But Microsoft, mainly because the only thing I'd agree paying for on XBL, are the GAMES, not some stupid virtual clothing or some $#!+ for my useless Avatar. I mean, WTF? Really? Really.
    Its bad enough your peripherals are ridiculously expensive. Just had to add insult to injury by charging for useless, virtual $#!+.

    To be continued...

    ReplyDelete